Saturday 20 November 2010

How to.... Penny Black Mice

Hi again and welcome to my 3rd tutorial and card for Penny Black Saturday Challenge, and this week I've coloured this gorgeous Penny Black stamp - Ode to Joy. This week there is a sketch to follow - and I so love sketches, for me it takes the hard work out of making a card.


To begin with, I've stamped the "Ode to Joy" stamp with Memento Rich Cocoa onto SU whisper white card...

And these are the colours I'll be using: Warm Grey 2 and 4, Satin, Pale Pink, Vanilla and Ivory...

I have very lightly dotted some Warm Grey 4 around the areas of the mouse that I imagine would be in shadow - I picture the light coming from the right of him so the darkest areas would be on his back...

Then I went over the areas I had just coloured, very lightly with WG2 - you can either use light feathery strokes or light circular movements. By going over what you have already coloured and moving outwards with the current colour, you will blend the 2 shades...

Next I coloured over the whole mouse with Satin, using small circular movements to blend all the shades together...

Next, I added a little Pale Pink to the inside of his ear and his cheek...

Then blended the pink in by colouring over the whole areas with Ivory...


I have repeated the steps for each of the mice... I have added more WG4, WG2 and Satin to each of the mice to give a bit more depth...

I have coloured the piano keys with Vanilla and Ivory...

And added some dimension to the music book with Satin and Vanilla then blended over the whole pages with Ivory...

And here's my finished card using the sketch...
I have used MME I Believe papers, a Nellie Snellen die, a MS wide border punch which is threaded with cream satin ribbon, greeting from Craftwork Cards.


Have you seen the fabulous designs from the Design Team? If not then hurry over to the Penny Black Saturday Challenge now, why not join in and you could win fabby prizes including the promarker colours that I've used for this tutorial, which were kindly supplied by Letraset

I'd like to enter my card into the following challenges...
Daring Cardmakers - 3 (3 mice, 3 papers, 3 flowers, 3 dewdrops)
Stampin' for the Weekend - Winter


13 comments:

sandra's crafty corner said...

wow debbi

i love the finished card, and thanks for the tips im always trying to colour with my vast collection of pm's but sometimes the colouring is rubbish lol xxx

Julie said...

Beautiful card, Debbi, and a great tutorial!!! Lots of great tips! Juliexx

martina's kaartjes said...

Great card, love your tutorial ! great job,
greetings, martina
x

nnalorac said...

Ah, gorgeous image and great colouring from the pro, a fab oving the card. Carolxx

sallysbitz2 said...

This is a beautiful card, love that image xx

Thanks for the tips too x

Joey said...

Hiya Debbi

thanks again for gdt for us! this is gorgeous I love this image!

Joey.x

Nana Nassar said...

gorgeous! xoxoxo

Saskia said...

Beautiful card, so sweet! Thanks for joining us at Daring Cardmakers!!

Sweet greetings, Saskia
(guest designer)

Kath Stewart said...

another fabby tutorial and gorgeous card...big thank you's once again....see you when I get back...hugs kath xxx

jenny said...

Fabulous card Debbi, I love this image and your colouring is wonderful!
Great step by step tutorial too x

Are you still doing a demo at ALford on Saturday? If it's not snowing!!! I hope to pop across and see you on action :)

Jenny xx

Di said...

Great winter card, those mice are having so much fun!
Thanks for joining SFTW!
Hugs Di xxx

Heidi-Mari said...

Beautiful card!
I just love the image, great coloring too!
Thank you for joining us over at Stampin for the Weekend
Have a blessed day
Heidi-Mari

Paula said...

You have some great tutorials - I'm still getting the hang of my promarkers!

Paula. x

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...